Server team meeting minutes: 2014-10-07

Posted in Ubuntu Server meeting minutes on October 14th, 2014 by Greg Lutostanski

Agenda

  • Review ACTION points from previous meeting

ACTION: all to review blueprint work items before next weeks meeting

  • U Development
  • Server & Cloud Bugs (caribou)
  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (psivaa)
  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (smb, sforshee, arges)
  • Ubuntu Server Team Events
  • Open Discussion
  • Announce next meeting date, time and chair

Minutes

Final Freeze 9 days out
  • Check on FTBFS packages — seems like there has been good progress
  • Make sure are up to date, if resources are needed now is the time to ask.
  • Release bugs, no high priority ones, juju mirs and openstack bits are being worked.
  • kickinz1 brought up two bcache bugs (LP #1377130 and LP #1377142) to the kernel team for help.
Meeting Actions

None

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, Oct 14th at 16:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

IRC Log

http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2014/ubuntu-meeting.2014-10-07-16.03.html

Server team meeting minutes: 2014-09-30

Posted in Uncategorized on September 30th, 2014 by Ryan Beisner

Agenda

  • Review ACTION points from previous meeting
  • rbasak to review mysql-5.6 transition plans with ABI breaks with infinity
  • blueprint updating
  • U Development
  • Server & Cloud Bugs (caribou)
  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (psivaa)
  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (smb, sforshee)
  • Ubuntu Server Team Events
  • Open Discussion
  • Announce next meeting date, time and chair
  • ACTION: meeting chair (of this meeting, not the next one) to carry out post-meeting procedure (minutes, etc) documented at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/KnowledgeBase

Minutes

  • REVIEW ACTION POINTS FROM PREVIOUS MEETING
    • re: rbasak noted that regarding mysql mysql-5.6 transition / abi infinity action, we decided to defer the 5.6 move for this cycle, as we felt it was too late given the ABI concerns.
  • UTOPIC DEVELOPMENT
    • LINK: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UtopicUnicorn/ReleaseSchedule
    • LINK: http://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/rls-mgr/rls-u-tracking-bug-tasks.html#ubuntu-server
    • LINK: http://status.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-u/group/topic-u-server.html
    • LINK: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/topic-u-server
  • SERVER & CLOUD BUGS (CARIBOU)
    • Nothing to report.
  • WEEKLY UPDATES & QUESTIONS FOR THE QA TEAM (PSIVAA)
    • Nothing to report.
  • WEEKLY UPDATES & QUESTIONS FOR THE KERNEL TEAM (SMB, SFORSHEE)
    • smb reports that he is digging into a potential race between libvirt and xen init
  • UBUNTU SERVER TEAM EVENTS
    • None to report.
  • OPEN DISCUSSION
    • Pretty quiet. Not even any bad jokes. Back to crunch time!
  • ANNOUNCE NEXT MEETING DATE AND TIME
    • next meeting will be : Tue Oct 7 16:00:00 UTC 2014 chair will be lutostag
  • MEETING ACTIONS
    • ACTION: all to review blueprint work items before next weeks meeting.

People present (lines said)

  • beisner (54)
  • smb (8)
  • meetingology (4)
  • smoser (3)
  • rbasak (3)
  • kickinz1 (3)
  • caribou (2)
  • gnuoy (1)
  • matsubara (1)
  • jamespage (1)
  • arges (1)
  • hallyn (1)

IRC Log

Server team meeting minutes: 2014-09-09

Posted in Uncategorized on September 9th, 2014 by Corey Bryant
Meeting Actions
  • none
U Development
  • Final beta freeze is 9/25
  • The one bug that is >= high in importance and not fixed is bug 1350810 in byobu, reminder sent to kirkland
  • Everyone reminded to review assigned blueprints for any features that need to be postponed for 14.10 release, since we’re beyond feature freeze
Server & Cloud Bugs (caribou)
  • no updates
Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (psivaa)
  • no updates
Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (smb, sforshee, arges)
  • coreycb added arges to agenda
  • arges reported to kickinz1 that bcache bug is fixed upstream, so that should trickle down soon
Ubuntu Server Team Events
  • There are a few sprints going on at the moment.
Open Discussion
  • no updates
Agree on next meeting date and time
Next meeting will be on Tuesday, Sept 16th at 16:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting. Chaired by arosales.

Server team meeting minutes: 2014-08-05

Posted in Uncategorized on August 5th, 2014 by Diogo Matsubara

Meeting Actions

U Development

  • DebianImportFreeze on the 7th and FeatureFreeze on the 21st
  • coreycb agreed to take on bug 1347567
  • Everyone reminded to keep BP up to date

Server & Cloud Bugs (caribou)

  • no updates

Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (psivaa)

  • psivaa reported that utopic installation jobs are broken at the moment due to a parted bug and that the Foundations team is working on a fix.

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (smb, sforshee)

  • smb reported that several bugs were reported by EC2 users.

Ubuntu Server Team Events

  • Linuxcon on the 20th and TL sprint going on during this week.

Open Discussion

  • lutostag reminded everyone that voting for ODS sessions are about to close, so people should vote ASAP. Ubuntu related sessions: http://insights.ubuntu.com/2014/07/31/voting-begins-for-openstack-summit-sessions-in-paris/

Agree on next meeting date and time

  • Next meeting will be on Tuesday, Aug 12th at 16:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting. Chaired by gaughen

Server team meeting minutes: 2014-07-29

Posted in Uncategorized on July 29th, 2014 by Robie Basak

Meeting Actions

None

U Development

The discussion about “U Development” started at 16:00.

  • Feature freeze is August 21. Note Debian Import Freeze is coming up
    • as well.
  • The mysql /var/lib/mysql discussion is proceeding, but it seems
    • unlikely that this will happen by feature freeze now. Nevertheless, we expect to land 5.6 in main in the same manner as 5.5 is currently on schedule.
  • http://status.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-u/group/topic-u-server.html – please

    • remember to keep your blueprints updated with work item progress and re-plan milestones if things slip.

Server & Cloud Bugs (caribou)

The discussion about “Server & Cloud Bugs (caribou)” started at 16:03.

  • No updates

Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (psivaa)

The discussion about “Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (psivaa)” started at 16:05.

  • No updates

Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (smb, sforshee)

The discussion about “Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (smb, sforshee)” started at 16:05.

  • James Page reports that iscsitarget 12.04 DKMS updates for HWE
    • kernels are ready and uploaded to trusty-proposed awaiting SRU team review (bug 1262712)
  • The KSM on NUMA + KVM bug (1346917) is making great progress, driven
    • by Chris Arges. Brad Figg reports that an upload to trusty-proposed is imminent, and it should land on August 8th (the day after 12.04.5). 12.04.5 (for the HWE kernel) won’t include the update, but one will be available for it the next day.
  • For kernel SRU cadence updates, see

Ubuntu Server Team Events

The discussion about “Ubuntu Server Team Events” started at 16:17.

  • rbasak noted that the Canonical Server Team have been sprinting in
    • #ubuntu-server on Fridays to complete merges, including mentoring and sponsoring, and that all are welcome to join them.

Open Discussion

The discussion about “Open Discussion” started at 16:18.

  • James Page reported that there are plans to SRU docker 1.0.x to
    • 14.04 in bug 1338768. The proposed uploaded is in a PPA and awaiting review from the SRU team. Testers are encouraged to try it out.

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, August 4th at 16:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting. Note that this was stated incorrectly in the meeting itself. The chair will be Liam Young.

2014-07-01 Meeting Minutes

Posted in Uncategorized on July 8th, 2014 by Greg Lutostanski

Agenda

  • Review ACTION points from previous meeting
  • U Development
  • Server & Cloud Bugs (caribou)
  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (psivaa)
  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (smb, sforshee)
  • Ubuntu Server Team Events
  • Open Discussion
  • Announce next meeting date, time and chair

Minutes

  • bug 1317587 is in progress

Next Meeting

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, July 8th at 16:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Additional logs @ https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20140701

Meeting Minutes: June 3rd, 2014

Posted in Uncategorized on June 3rd, 2014 by Corey Bryant

Agenda

  • Review ACTION points from previous meeting
  • U Development
  • Server & Cloud Bugs (caribou)
  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (psivaa)
  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (smb, sforshee)
  • Ubuntu Server Team Events
  • Open Discussion
  • Announce next meeting date, time and chair

Minutes

  • vUDS is next week (Tues-Thurs) – Pat (gaughen) is still working on topics, so if someone has a suggestion please talk to her.
  • bug 1319555 should not be on the list – list needs refreshing
  • bug 1315052 has fix committed upstream
  • bug 1317587 is in progress
  • The team is working on getting the blueprints filled out completely.  Expecting them to be solidified around vUDS.
  • Louis (caribou) created blueprint: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/servercloud-u-networked-kdump and working on getting it filled in and approved.
  • kdump may be added to vUDS agenda
  • There’s an Openstack meetup in London on Thursday – James (jamespage) and Liam (gnuoy) are attending.  http://www.eventbooking.uk.com/openstack/home.html

Next Meeting

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, June 10th at 16:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Additional logs @ https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20140603

Meeting Minutes: May 20th

Posted in Uncategorized on May 27th, 2014 by Antonio Rosales

Agenda

  • Review ACTION points from previous meeting
  • T Development
  • Server & Cloud Bugs (caribou)
  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (psivaa)
  • Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (smb, sforshee)
  • Ubuntu Server Team Events
  • Open Discussion
  • Announce next meeting date, time and chair

Minutes

Pretty straightforward meeting given 14.04 release is still pretty fresh in our minds, and ODS was last week. Great Demo at UDS! Utopic Unicorn is underway way (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UtopicUnicorn/ReleaseSchedule) the first Alpha release scheduled for June 26th, and vUDS on June 12th. Server team blueprints are also in progress with the topic blueprint (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/topic-u-server_ already created and dependencies being posted to it.

The Bugs we covered were:

  • Launchpad bug 1319555 in ec2-api-tools (Ubuntu Utopic) “update out-dated ec2-api-tools for 12.04″ [High,New]
  • Launchpad bug 1315052 in lxc (Ubuntu Utopic) “lxc-attach from a different login session fails” [High,Triaged]
  • Launchpad bug 1317587 in clamav (Ubuntu Utopic) “ClamAV 0.98.1 is Outdated” [High,In progress]
  • Launchpad bug 1317811 in linux (Ubuntu) “Dropped packets on EC2, “xen_netfront: xennet: skb rides the rocket: x slots”” [Medium,In progress]

Next Meeting

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, May 27th at 16:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Additional logs @ https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20140520

OpenStack Continuous Integration on Ubuntu 101

Posted in Uncategorized on April 10th, 2014 by Greg Lutostanski

We (the Canonical OIL dev team) are about to finish the production roll out of our OpenStack Interoperability Lab (OIL). It’s been an awesome time getting here so I thought I would take the opportunity to get everyone familiar, at a high level, with what OIL is and some of the cool technology behind it.

So what is OIL?

For starters, OIL is essentially continuous integration of the entire stack, from hardware preparation, to Operating System deployment, to orchestration of OpenStack and third party software, all while running specific tests at each point in the process. All test results and CI artifacts are centrally stored for analysis and monthly report generation.

Typically, setting up a cloud (particularly OpenStack) for the first time can be frustrating and time consuming. The potential combinations and permutations of hardware/software components and configurations can quickly become mind-numbing. To help ease the process and provide stability across options we sought to develop an interoperability test lab to vet as much of the ecosystem as possible.

To accomplish this we developed a CI process for building and tearing down entire OpenStack deployments in order to validate every step in the process and to make sure it is repeatable. The OIL lab is comprised of a pool of machines (including routers/switches, storage systems, and computer servers) from a large number of partners. We continually pull available nodes from the pool, setup the entire stack, go to town testing, and then tear it all back down again. We do this so many times that we are already deploying around 50 clouds a day and expect to scale this by a factor of 3-4 with our production roll-out. Generally, each cloud is composed of about 5-7 machines each but we have the ability to scale each test as well.

But that’s not all, in addition to testing we also do bug triage, defect analysis and work both internally and with our partners on fixing as many things as we can. All to ensure that deploying OpenStack on Ubuntu is as seamless a process as possible for both users and vendors alike.

Underlying Technology

We didn’t want to reinvent the wheel so, we are leveraging the latest Ubuntu technologies as well as some standard tools to do all of this. In fact the majority of the OIL infrastructure is public code you can get and start playing with right away!

Here is a small list of what we are using for all this CI goodness:

  • MaaS — to do the base OS install
  • Juju — for all the complicated OpenStack setup steps — and linking them together
  • Tempest — the standard test suite that pokes and prods OpenStack to ensure everything is working
  • Machine selections & random config generation code — to make sure we get a good hardware/software cross sections
  • Jenkins — gluing everything together

Using all of this we are able to manage our hardware effectively, and with a similar setup you can easily too. This is just a high-level overview so we will have to leave the in-depth technological discussions for another time.

More to come

We plan on having a few more blog posts cover some of the more interesting aspects (both results we are getting from OIL and some underlying technological discussions).

We are getting very close to OIL’s official debut and are excited to start publishing some really insightful data.

Tags: , , ,

2014-04-08 Meeting Minutes

Posted in Uncategorized on April 8th, 2014 by Robie Basak

A few last pieces are being worked in the last couple of days to final
freeze.

  • James Page is struggling to find a release team member to review the docker.io feature freeze exception request (bug 1295093).
  • The juju-quickstart MIR is deferred; Robie will upload some final bugfixes soon.
  • Louis is working on some last minute fixes to sosreport.
  • Parameswaran reports that all smoke tests are passing.
  • Stefan is polishing some last pieces in Xen and libvirt.

Full minutes: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20140408
Log: http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2014/ubuntu-meeting.2014-04-08-16.01.log.html